Pirate Day is a fun day of getting in touch with your inner Long John Silver, Captain Kidd or Jack Sparrow.
Set sail for adventure with these fun ideas.
- Go bold and dress up in full pirate regalia. Think velvet coat, parrot on the shoulder, striped pants and gold earrings.
- Be subtle, wear a striped t-shirt and throw the occasional ‘me heartie’ into conversation.
- Hold a buccaneer bake sale or sell pirate inspired treats to raise extra gold coins for childhood brain cancer.
- Host pirate trivia quiz with a mix of questions about factual and fictitious filibusters.
- Enlist your ship mates to “walk the plank”. All you need is a low balance beam and some wet sponges. $1 buys a throw to see if you can knock them over!
- Discover classic pirate stories in Peter Pan (J M Barrie), Treasure Island (Robert Louis Stevenson) and Robinson Crusoe (Daniel Defoe).
- Host a Pirates of the Caribbean mega movie marathon.
- Organise a treasure hunt.
- Have a pirate crafternoon. Download, printout and make our hats, bandanas and treasure chests from piratedayinmay.com.au/resources.
- Do a pirate ‘runch’ – that’s a lunchtime run dressed as a pirate.
- Have a pirate ship building competition using cardboard boxes, toilet rolls, crepe paper and paint. See who can build the best boat from recyclable materials.
- Set the challenge to talk like a pirate all day. Gold coin donation for anyone who doesn’t start a conversation with ‘Aarrrgh’.
- Create an epic pirate music playlist.
- Get snappy and take as many pirate photos as you can to post on social media with #piratedayinmay
- Stand-up gig pirate style to see who has the best pirate joke. Have you heard the one about the flexible pirate? He went to pilarrrrties and yogarrrrrgh!
- Tell your local newspaper about your fundraiser and invite them for a pirate photo call.
- Hold a pirate sports day with pirate games like bob for gold, pin the ponytail on the pirate and a good old-fashioned tug o’ war.
- Head to the beach or the nearest sandpit to build sandcastles.