Or how to turn a bunch of landlubbers into pirates for Pirate Day
So you want to organise a Pirate Day but don’t know where to start. Here are our top tips to help you get your crew and ship in shape.
The elevator pitch
People will look at you in disbelief when you say you want to dress up as a pirate. And they’ll quickly about face when you suggest they do likewise. That is unless of course you know the important facts to sell the Pirate Day campaign to them in less time than it takes to go from Ground to Level 1.
Hoist the mainsail!
This is what you need to know to get started:
- Pirate Day was a concept conceived in tragic circumstances when, in 2014, Nathan Colgan of Perth, learned his son, Conor (then aged 5), had an aggressive brain tumour.
- Today, Pirate Day is a national initiative to raise awareness and funds for research into the treatment and cure of childhood brain cancer.
- In 2018, 66,000 pirates across Australia raised more than $85,000 for childhood brain cancer. This year’s goal is a whopping $100,000!
- Schools, early learning centres, workplaces and whole towns get involved year after year.
- All funds raised in partnership with The Pirate Ship Foundation and The Kids’ Cancer Project are directed towards vital childhood brain cancer research.
Backed by the boss
With the people at the top supporting you on this venture, you’ll be able to gather more cohorts, plaster posters around the place, post messages on the intranet, items in newsletters and most importantly, you’ll be able to ask them to match your donations. Yarr!
Ready to register
Choose a date you want to set sail and you’ll be ready to head to piratedayinmay.com.au/register, complete the registration form and get the pirate party started!
Campaign for a cause
Make it your mission to download the official poster artwork from the Party gear section of the website. Print and pop them up all around your town, workplace or school so everyone knows when they need to break out their buccaneering best. Spread the word to get as many people involved as possible – think company announcement, general assembly, newsletter, intranet, social media group page.
Fresh way to fundraise
Download and print this fun treasure chest that you can cut out, stick together and use to collect gold coin donations from everyone who has dressed up.
Buccaneer bake sale
Collecting gold coins is what Pirate Day is all about. But if you want to take your fundraising efforts one step further, enlist the dough punchers among your crew to bake pirate inspired treats. Sea biscuit anyone? Sounds jolly, Roger. We’ve loads more ideas here.
Weigh anchor and set sail
Pirate Day is fun for everyone. Spend the day sharing pirate puns, singing sea shanties and posing for photos (#piratedayinmay), all while raising money for childhood brain cancer research! For anyone who forgets to wear their pirate duds, download, print, cut out and make an eye patch and bandana.